Get Paid to Transform
The Bay Area Water Supply and Conservation Agency (BAWSCA) Lawn Be Gone! Program provides rebates to approved customers that convert water-thirsty lawns to water-efficient landscapes. To be eligible for this program, an applicant must be a customer of a participating BAWSCA Member Agency. A list of the agencies that are participating in the BAWSCA Lawn Be Gone! Program for Fiscal Year 2013-2014 and their contact information is below.
- Lawn Be Gone! Rebate Application
- Terms & Conditions
- Applicant Checklist
- Frequently Asked Questions
- List of Participating Agencies
- BAWSCA Approved Plant List
Steps to Participate.
Read and complete the Lawn Be Gone! Program Application and submit your Application and proposed plant list to BAWSCA at, 155 Bovet Road, Suite #650, San Mateo, CA 94402. Plants must be listed on the BAWSCA-Approved Plant List, or otherwise demonstrated to be low-water use.
A representative from a participating BAWSCA member agency will contact you to schedule a Pre-Conversion Site Inspection. This will include reviewing your proposed Lawn Conversion Project with you and measuring the area of the lawn to be converted. Once you have completed a Pre-Conversion Site Inspection, and your Lawn Conversion Project has been approved, you will receive a Notice to Proceed from the participating BAWSCA member agency, and will have three (3) months to complete your Lawn Conversion Project.
To be eligible for a rebate, the Lawn Conversion Project must not be started before approval and receipt of a Notice to Proceed issued by a participating BAWSCA Member Agency.
Once you receive a Notice to Proceed, you can start your Lawn Conversion Project and remove the lawn and install your new water-efficient landscape. Remember to develop the converted area in a manner that is consistent with the Program Terms and Conditions. For additional information and resources, see links below.
Contact the participating BAWSCA Member Agency to schedule a Post-Conversion Site Inspection within three (3) months of receiving the Notice to Proceed. A participating BAWSCA Member Agency representative will confirm that the new landscaping in the converted area meets the Program Terms and Conditions. As part of the Post-Conversion Site Inspection, you must provide a final list of the plants used in the Lawn Conversion Project and receipts for plants, irrigation equipment and other costs associated with the Lawn Conversion Project. Note that the rebate will not cover costs associated with labor and equipment rental.
Once the Post-Conversion Site Inspection is complete and the Lawn Conversion Project is given final approval the participating BAWSCA Member Agency, a rebate will be processed. Rebates may take 6 to 8 weeks to issue following approval. Rebates may be issued in the form of a check or a credit on the Applicant’s water account.
- Water-Wise Gardening Tool: http://www.bawsca.watersavingplants.com/bawsca.php
- FREE! Water-Efficient Landscape Classes: http://bawsca.org/water-conservation/residential-water-conservation-programs/landscape-education-classes/
- Permeable Pavement: http://www.plantsf.org/PermeableLandscaping.html
- Bay Friendly Landscaping and Gardening: http://www.stopwaste.org/docs/bay-friendly_landscape_guidelines_-_all_chapters.pdf
- Soil & Mulching: http://www.ccwater.com/files/Soil.pdf
- Plannng: http://www.ccwater.com/files/Planning.pdf
- Sheet Mulching: http://www.bluestem.ca/eliminating-lawn.htm
- Bay Friendly Guide to Mulch: http://stopwaste.org/docs/mulchguide-2006.pdf
- California Invasive Plant Council: http://www.cal-ipc.org
- Lose the lawn: 21 inspiring yards: http://www.sunset.com/garden/earth-friendly/lose-the-lawn-low-water-landscaping-00400000041830/page24.html